Old 06-09-2008, 11:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha[_3_] Sacha[_3_] is offline

Default Grrr...

On 6/9/08 22:39, in article ,
"Sheila" wrote:

"Ed" ex@directory wrote in message
et...
On 06/09/08 18:02, Sheila wrote:
I hate people who over water plants!

That is not good. Don't hate anyone.

I have been going to visit a lady 3 times a week for what seems like a
hundred years, and in that time, her houseplants have been given the most
appalling treatment. They get water whether they need it or not, they
are never re potted, the top of the soil is caked with limescale......or
what looks like it.... gross, and last week I could hold my peace no
longer, When I had to hold one plant (not in pot, in bowl with no
drainage over the sink and squeeze it out..... it was illiberally
floating..I said enough is enough, I am going to get some potting compost
next week and try to give your plants some tlc. and leave the watering
to me!

If you visit 3 times a week, how come the plants are so mistreated?

Ed

every time I go I have to drain the water out!

I think you're on a hiding to nothing, to be honest. I had someone who
helped me in the house twice a week for nearly 18 years. I do not
exaggerate when I say we all thought the world of her but could I stop her
watering my indoor plants? Unseen by me and in my absence she'd water them
and leave them standing in half an inch of water *every single time*. I
lost track of how many I had to chuck out unless I went round every week,
twice a week, checking their pots. My absence on holiday for a week or two
was Plant Cemetery. It didn't matter what I said or how often I said it, I
could not persuade her that dryish compost is Good or that, when watering,
standing things in the sink so they can drain right out is even Better.
She truly believed I was cruel to my plants because I didn't water them
daily - all evidence to the contrary. She thought I was mis-treating them
if I didn't water them every day and could not believe that all she had to
do was check the compost for dampness and POUR THE WATER OUT OF THE
CONTAINER! We parted only when I moved to England and she remained
unconvinced from Day One to Day one thousand and whatever! She still
thought I was a house-plant abuser! My advice? Let all her houseplants
die. Then maybe she'll listen. But I bet she won't.

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.com