Old 07-09-2008, 03:58 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Isabella Woodhouse Isabella Woodhouse is offline

Default Why Heirloom Tomatoes??

In article ,
Omelet wrote:

In article
,
Isabella Woodhouse wrote:

We are close to Mexico and our local store sells some tomatoes that are
"on the vine" (and they really are!) Tomatoes still attached to the vine.

Our groceries have those too. They look like Jet Stars but our regular
grocery has a very bad habit of chilling the tomatoes and ruining the
taste of even the decent tomatoes. When you cut them open, you can see
that line around the circumference that indicates they've been held at
too low a temperature. There are other problems too. They order far
too much produce and it often sits until its rotten on the inside. Ugh!
I have to be very careful. A somewhat close Whole Foods opened recently
so I might be able to get better ones there.

Perhaps... but I've done best at the farmers market when I can attend.
I seldom shop at Whole Paycheck. Sun Harvest is just as good, and more
reasonable price-wise.

You're lucky you live in a region that has a farmers market operational
in the winter. Our markets are barely what you'd call "Farmer's" let
alone winter operational. In the summer, we get most of our produce
from the garden so I don't need a farmer's market then. Never heard of
Sun Harvest. Is that a competitor?

I find lots of things competitively priced or better at Whole Foods, and
some not--- especially meat. I think it really depends what kinds of
foods you buy (or are forced to buy, like gluten-free for instance) and
local grocery store pricing. I don't shop there exclusively... far from
it.
[...]
For some reason, there is always a rash of male only blooms at the
beginning of the season. Fortunately, I LIKE stuffed squash blossoms! ;-d
Deep fried... Mmmmmm.

I am wondering if there is a good way to store some of that pollen, and
have it be viable.

Gosh I have no idea about the pollen. I harvest the male zucchini
blossoms most late afternoons and use them for dinner. When there are
enough at one time, I batter and deep-fry them as well as zucchini
spears. Far more often, they get sauteed and mixed in with something
else or chopped over a salad or other dish--- especially a zucchini
stir-fry.

How I wish I lived in a cool enough climate to grow nasturtiums. I just
love them in salads.

Isabella
--
"I will show you fear in a handful of dust"
-T.S. Eliot