Old 07-09-2008, 04:44 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Omelet[_4_] Omelet[_4_] is offline

Default Why Heirloom Tomatoes??

In article
,
Isabella Woodhouse wrote:

Never heard of
Sun Harvest. Is that a competitor?

Yes, and a common one around here. They have a lot of organic and bulk
foods, and some _killer_ sales. :-)

I find lots of things competitively priced or better at Whole Foods, and
some not--- especially meat. I think it really depends what kinds of
foods you buy (or are forced to buy, like gluten-free for instance) and
local grocery store pricing. I don't shop there exclusively... far from
it.

I can't eat wheat either. Sun Harvest sells some most excellent corn
and rice pasta! I like the corn better. Deboles brand:

http://tinyurl.com/6qenfa

I am wondering if there is a good way to store some of that pollen, and
have it be viable.

Gosh I have no idea about the pollen. I harvest the male zucchini
blossoms most late afternoons and use them for dinner. When there are
enough at one time, I batter and deep-fry them as well as zucchini
spears. Far more often, they get sauteed and mixed in with something
else or chopped over a salad or other dish--- especially a zucchini
stir-fry.

I'd not tried them chopped as a salad ingredient. :-)
Mom and I always fixed them stuffed and fried.

How I wish I lived in a cool enough climate to grow nasturtiums. I just
love them in salads.

Isabella

They grow fast, try growing them seasonally. I can grow them in the
late winter/early spring but then when it gets hot, they do die off.
I've not tried potting them and keeping them in the shade tho'.

Pretty plants!

I just wish Lantana was edible. It's drought resistant so I use a lot
of it for landscaping. With all the rain we had a couple of weeks ago,
my Dallas Reds are blooming their lovely heads off right now!

http://i28.tinypic.com/16945yf.jpg

I need to take pics of the ones in the driveway garden. Some of those
are turning blood red when they mature. :-)
--
Peace! Om

"If you don't read the newspaper you are uninformed; if you do read the newspaper you are misinformed." --Mark Twain