Old 07-09-2008, 10:26 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Nick Maclaren Nick Maclaren is offline

Default Weed

In article ,
Rusty Hinge 2 writes:
| The message
| from "Christina Websell" contains
| these words:
|
| /ground elder/
|
| Makes a good green veg, though.
|
| Yes, allegedly, I haven't been brave enough, you might tell me how to cook
| it perhaps? I would be up for it (lots next door that I could eat)
|
| Pick the young shoots and cook as you would cook spinach.
|
| You can use the older leaves as a flavouring in stews and casseroles,
| but it is said, not after the plant has flowered.
|
| I just cut them down and capture all the new shoots. It's really very good.

I have eaten it - and neither my wife nor I want to repeat the experience.
It wasn't revolting - we just didn't like it. The one that I do pick is
goosefoot, which is better than spinach in most spinach recipes.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.