Old 07-09-2008, 04:00 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
T. McQuinn T. McQuinn is offline

Default Brush Clearing

Art wrote:

DR mowers are not very high quality machines. I doubt you will find
anyone renting them as they would not hold up to rental use for more
than a day or two.

Thanks. What I see locally is not the DR brand, but the pictures were
tiny that I thought I would use DR to show the type of machine I was
talking about.
You're going to need a few different pieces of equipment to deal with
the various sizes of growth. If I were you, I'd start with renting a
backpack brushcutter like a Shindaiwa BP35. Get one with a saw blade
on it. With that you can cut an 6-8 foot wide swath though just about
anything 3" thick or smaller. It's versatile enough to work around all
the trees you want to save and you can clear right up to them. Then
you just make piles based on size and work the piles down. Chainsaw
for the big stuff, chipper/shredder for the medium sized and If
possible burn off the smaller stuff. If you can't burn where you are
then put it through a shredder.

Roger that. Can't burn and am limited, at least at this time, by a 4
foot gate in the back. But I will resolve the gate issue if necessary.
I would definitely leave the chipped and shredded stuff there to
decompose. Use it to fill in low spots. You'll probably wind up with
enough trash to haul away without having to deal with that stuff too.

Thanks for the sanity check. And yeah, I will need a little bit of
hauling. But it looks like that's getting pretty competitive around
here and I figure it can't cost too much to do a load or two.
Good luck, sounds like a lot of hard work ahead.

Yes. And even if I don't end up being the guy to do it, thanks for the
sanity check.