Old 09-04-2003, 02:44 PM
Jim Lewis

Default [IBC] rooting hormones was; Cuttings from woody plants

Finally, there are some who believe that the hormones are

only a help in
preventing fungus while the plant roots itself.

Billy on the Florida Space Coast

Huh? Do you mean because most rooting formulations include a
fungicide, or are you talking about the action of the hormone

itself?
I haven't heard this, but, of course, I've only been a tree
pathologist since Monday!

As Jim mentioned, one can get information about which strength

of
rooting hormone to use from Dirr's propagation manual, which I

can't
cite because it is still packed in a box. But that kind of
information is mostly useful to commercial growers, who need to

root
cuttings at a high success rate at maximum speed. It's not

that
crucial if you need one cutting to root at some point.

Even Dirr's "Manual of Woody Landscape Plants" contains this info
for many species. Again, unless you're in the business of
propagation, Dirr's propagation manual is a bit much for most of
us. Most decent libraries have it in their reference section,
though, and you can take notes to your heart's content. After
all, we bonsaiests don't grow THAT many species.

(I think youse guys who have forgotten what books and libraries
are and insist on getting all of your info from the Internet may
be out of luck. I've not found a reliable (key word) propagation
site on the WWW yet.)

David Thoreau - Walden

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --