Old 07-09-2008, 11:52 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
[email protected] rossr35253@forteinc.com is offline

Default onion seeds

On Sun, 07 Sep 2008 17:07:36 -0500, zxcvbob
wrote:

Anybody up north ever try planing onion seeds in the winter right before
the ground freezes? I never have much luck growing onion seeds (I
always get them in the ground too late if I direct sow, and planting
them in a flat doesn't work well for me) but I often get volunteer chive
seedlings in the flower beds and they do just fine. Maybe onions are
like dill and like to overwinter before they sprout.

I've collected seeds from my red onions this year and thinking about
planting them out in November and see what happens.

Bob

Certainly worth a try. Let us know how it works.
We start our onions indoors in individual paper tubes set in a flat.
Usually start them in February and set them out in mid-May. By
planting tube and all they suffer absolutely no set back and we have
good luck with that system.
It's easy to make a form for wrapping the newspaper tubes used in the
system. If anyone is interested I can post short instructions.

Ross.