Old 08-09-2008, 04:55 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Isabella Woodhouse Isabella Woodhouse is offline

Default Why Heirloom Tomatoes??

In article ,
Omelet wrote:

In article
,
Isabella Woodhouse wrote:

Never heard of
Sun Harvest. Is that a competitor?

Yes, and a common one around here. They have a lot of organic and bulk
foods, and some _killer_ sales. :-)

Competition is good.

I find lots of things competitively priced or better at Whole Foods, and
some not--- especially meat. I think it really depends what kinds of
foods you buy (or are forced to buy, like gluten-free for instance) and
local grocery store pricing. I don't shop there exclusively... far from
it.

I can't eat wheat either. Sun Harvest sells some most excellent corn
and rice pasta! I like the corn better. Deboles brand:

http://tinyurl.com/6qenfa

Not my cup of tea. Last time I had it, it was awfully grainy and
coarse. Tell me it's improved and I'll try it again. I prefer the
Tinkyada rice pasta... most of which I get via Amazon.

I am wondering if there is a good way to store some of that pollen, and
have it be viable.

[...]
How I wish I lived in a cool enough climate to grow nasturtiums. I just
love them in salads.

They grow fast, try growing them seasonally. I can grow them in the
late winter/early spring but then when it gets hot, they do die off.
I've not tried potting them and keeping them in the shade tho'.

Pretty plants!

Eighty percent of the time, we go almost straight from winter to summer
with almost no spring (DH often plants the peas at the end of February).
But I will certainly give that a try. In Ohio, I had gorgeous
nasturtiums and great salads. Mmmm... the texture of the leaves is
so choice.

I just wish Lantana was edible. It's drought resistant so I use a lot
of it for landscaping. With all the rain we had a couple of weeks ago,
my Dallas Reds are blooming their lovely heads off right now!

http://i28.tinypic.com/16945yf.jpg

Lovely!

I need to take pics of the ones in the driveway garden. Some of those
are turning blood red when they mature. :-)

Our Butterfly bushes are still blooming strong (among others). What a
great long-season bloomer--- and so fragrant too. It looks like we'll
have some Autumn Joy this year. The zappers have, so far, kept the darn
deer away from it. They just love those succulents.

Isabella
--
"I will show you fear in a handful of dust"
-T.S. Eliot