Old 08-09-2008, 05:34 AM posted to rec.gardens.bamboo
Charles Manoras[_2_] Charles Manoras[_2_] is offline

Default Rhizomes running now!

"beecrofter" wrote

What you got was all the rhizome mass could support, keep it mulched
a few feet around and next yr shoud be better.

Thanks, are you saying that in addition to retaining moisture and
protection weatherwise (mostly in winter) the mulch plays some
kind of mechanical support function for the young shoots and their
rizomes.

If this is correct the mulch has to be very, very deep.

Which depth would you recommend?

Before failing my new shoots this spring were fairly "large"
(half inch or slightly less in diameter and about 2 ft high).

BTW I am more or less your neighbor (Putnam Cty, NY).