Old 08-09-2008, 10:04 AM posted to aus.gardens
YMC YMC is offline

Default Compost Worms

"Erik Vastmasd" wrote in message

You are using compost piles and your compost isn't in compost bins?

Pardon. I have a compost pile and a compost bin in the sunny spot.

I've got a fairly large garden - and a large nature strip lawn area to
cover.

Ideally I should have 6 compost bins.

If so you would not be able to keep the piles sufficiently moist enough
for compost worms to survive particularly if in the full sun.

Point taken. But can the compost piles work if I put a tarpulin plastic
sheet over it?

I have the conventional worm farms in shady spots but I have also
established compost worms in two compost bins one of which is shaded,
the other is in the full sun and worms have survived in both for several
years so far.

Hmmm... I'm in Victoria - the black compost bins turn super hot in Summer
when the temperatures hit 30+. I've found the worms scrambling to the top
rim of the lid cover during that time. They can't come out and they die.

The phenonmenon only occurs during Summer. During Winter, the worms are very
happy campers.