Old 08-09-2008, 09:11 PM
poppy44 poppy44 is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Father Haskell View Post
On Aug 22, 8:37 pm, "Marie Dodge" wrote:
"Father Haskell" wrote in message

Neem is overrated. Most of it comes mixed with insecticidal
soap, which is probably the effective ingredient.

I'm gardening all my life and found almost all the organic pesticides
overrated. But then we have to ask ourselves, if they worked.... why would
anyone have developed the more toxic chemical pesticides?

Many were chemical nerve agents. Diluting and selling them
as pesticides was a good way to make a few extra dollars.

No one would have
bought them. Unfortunately, even they don't work well anymore as insects
and bugs gain natural tolerance and/or immunity to them.

That's why cultural remedies works so well. By watering
from the bottom up, as with a wick or subirrigation planter,
you don't waterlog the surface of the soil, which attracts
pests like sciarids. No sciarid has ever developed immunity
to dehydration.
hi, iv used neem for the last 3 years (im in the Uk-north) and i have had very little damage to my plants whereas before i was forever battleing against the bugs. neem oil will not harm bugs,they just dont like the taste of it. Im not saying its a miracle cure for all plants ailments but in my case iv found it very good. you have to use it regularly though and i use 'green' liquid soap bought seperately.Neem is certainly better than the toxic sprays etc that are on sale in garden centres all over the world.