Old 08-09-2008, 03:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Des Higgins Des Higgins is offline

Default Fennel bulbs

On Sep 8, 1:34 pm, "Cat(h)" wrote:
I sowed a couple of rows of fennel bulbs for the first time earlier
this summer. They have put on nice healthy foliage and are now
starting to form flowers, but the "bulb" end is no thicker than 2
fingers on the larger ones. Should I wait for it to thicken out? Or
is it yet another victim of the downpourey "summer"? Or is it the
sort of thing that doesn't do well in our moist and relatively cool
climate?

Cat(h)

Were these from seed? Were the seeds specifically for growing bulbs
rather than foliage?
I know nothing about growing fennel other than we tried it once and
got lots of leaves and not much bulb so I wondered if there were
specific varieties for bulbs.