Old 08-09-2008, 04:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Cat(h) Cat(h) is offline

Default Fennel bulbs

On Sep 8, 3:45*pm, Des Higgins wrote:
On Sep 8, 1:34 pm, "Cat(h)" wrote:

I sowed a couple of rows of fennel bulbs for the first time earlier
this summer. *They have put on nice healthy foliage and are now
starting to form flowers, but the "bulb" end is no thicker than 2
fingers on the larger ones. *Should I wait for it to thicken out? *Or
is it yet another victim of the downpourey "summer"? *Or is it the
sort of thing that doesn't do well in our moist and relatively cool
climate?

Cat(h)

Were these from seed? *Were the seeds specifically for growing bulbs
rather than foliage?
I know nothing about growing fennel other than we tried it once and
got lots of leaves and not much bulb so I wondered if there were
specific varieties for bulbs.

I believe so, seen as I have grown fennel (bronze fennel) for foliage
as a herb in my herb garden for ever, and it doesn't really put on
much of a "bulb" at the base. Those I planted are throwing shapes in
that general direction, but staying very thin. I am wondering whether
they will thicken given time, or whether they were just a flop,
whatever the reason. I am in mourning, coz I just love fennel.
I am pretty sure that the seeds were specifically for bulb (or so the
piccie on the packet indicated).

Cat(h)

Cat(h)