Old 08-09-2008, 09:29 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Willshak Willshak is offline

Default Brush Clearing

on 9/7/2008 9:33 AM T. McQuinn said the following:
I have never really cleared much brush. What little I have done has
been done with a chainsaw, loppers, and what I used to think was a
pretty big chipper/vacuum. I live in the 'burbs but I have a 1.2 acre
lot with, maybe, half of it wooded and wild. Actually, it's worse
than wild, I have cut limbs and honeysuckle for years and piled the
brush back there out of sight. My bad, but I did it. I want to
reclaim this property and put up a real fence. But the brush, the
brush is challenging me. I just got a bid from a guy who has enough
mechanized equipment to invade Poland and he will clear it, haul it
away, and leave me with nothing but the large trees and dirt for five
grand. I'd love to do it but I have to reserve enough cash for a six
foot solid fence. So I'm looking for alternatives. I have a chipper
but it will only do up to 3 inches (from memory) and it is easy to get
it clogged with leaves and crap if you try to put too much into it.
Fine, I can rent a real chipper. But some of this brush is brutal.
The former owner didn't maintain it either and it is rough. So I have
two questions:

How capable are these babies? Has anyone ever used something similar?
http://tinyurl.com/6xxogg
http://tinyurl.com/6awo7f
I can rent something similar locally but I have never used one. I
realize it aint' going to be a day at the beach but can you tear into
a pile of brush with one of these and have it chop/mulch most of it?
Honestly, I've never even seen one of these in use (city boy).

I is there any reason that I should rethink chopping all this brush,
chipping what I can, and letting it return to the soil? I mean,
that's basically what has been done for decades here, just probably
not as quickly as if it gets chopped/chipped/shredded.

Tom

Get other bids. Maybe from someone that doesn't have enough equipment to
invade Poland.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY