Old 09-04-2003, 03:08 PM
Theo

Default [IBC] rooting hormones was; Cuttings from woody plants

I made 3 succesful cuttings few years ago
1 azalea and 1 trident maple and another on a coral maple--
the 3 of them were without hormones just cut ot took the splitted branch and put
into soil and forgot ..
( the pot of the same plant) the soil was mainly acidic

Now this year I put 4 Pentaphilla cuttings ( from mid jan. and they still look
ok) used powder hormons left in half shade( in home green house during jan and
feb.) and controlled the humidity . Last week I made fev cuttings 3 coral bark
maples 3 Dojojo maple ( no hormones )
3 weeks before ( 15 march) I made 2 cuttings of japanese maples less than 1 little
finger thick old branch , shaved a stripe underneth the branch put in the soil
almost horizontal and used hormons, The soil a sort of crushed lava to be kept
quite moist often ( the same I have seen in Arizona around trees instead of
shredded pinebark ..)
These cuttings bloomed with the little maple flowers, I cut all of them and the
little leaves are still very green .. The next cuttings will be be into sand
and peat 65/35 %
I am making cuttings this year almost each month( january to june) to see which
ones will make roots and in which sort of soil I will get the best results
the climate here should be something like in Virginia ( Geneva Switzerland
here) the cuttings are actually in north east position with mild sun in the
morning
Time will tell
Theo

Jim Lewis wrote:

Hi all,
I was wondering if anyone bothered with the different strengths
of rooting hormone. I realize that certain species of Tree/plants
are harder to root than others. Are the Rooting powders found in
most garden stores enough for even difficult to root material or
is it recommended to have a variety of different strengths on
hand?

=============

I'm told that once the package/jar/envelope has been opened, the
shelf-life of the hormone is quite short, so unless you do a lot
of cuttings and air layers, it would be economically unfeasible
to keep various strengths on hand.

You need to check books such as any of Dirr's tomes beforehand to
see what your tree might need. I, for one, have found that
standard-issue Rootone in the small jars seems to work on just
about everything I've tried.

David Thoreau - Walden

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --