Old 09-04-2003, 03:08 PM
dt

Default ants v Amdro -- ants winning

"Elliot Richmond" wrote in message
On Tue, 8 Apr 2003 12:24:21 -0500, "Betsy"
wrote:

Studies have found that some nests of fire
ants actually "learn" to avoid Amdro. Can you tell I hate fire ants? :-)

I'm not all surprised. Imported fire ants have evolved several
behaviors not common in their home ranges, such as multiple queen
colonies. The boiling water treatment you described would probably be
effective. I am concerned about the danger of scalding. Also, boiling
water kills the grass and sterilizes the soil.

Yeah, but its persistence in the environment is about 5 minutes. Then
everything starts moving back into that "sterile" soil.

DT