Old 09-04-2003, 03:20 PM
Pam

Default Overseeding and Weed and Feed

Keith Corwell wrote:

I over seeded my yard about a week ago. My question is when could I put
down some weed and feed.

First, you don't want to use weed & feed. An expensive and inefficient way
to combat weed problems and a huge pollution source, not to mention making
the lawn unfriendly and even hazardous to small children and pets. Spot weed
problem areas or manually remove. Keep fertilizer applications separate from
weed control.

Second, one typically does the prep work BEFORE seeding or overseeding,
including dethatching, aerating, liming and weed control.

Third, if it is a newly seeded lawn, you sure don't need weed & feed. A
starter fertilizer applied prior to seeding is recommended - works also for
overseeding. You can also apply after seeding, but follow the directions. A
light topping of fine compost is also a good idea - holds in the moisture to
encourage germination and provides rudimentary nutrients for the newly
emerged grass seedlings.

pam - gardengal