Old 09-09-2008, 02:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Cat(h) Cat(h) is offline

Default Weed

On Sep 9, 2:28*pm, "bm" wrote:
"Des Higgins" wrote in message

On Sep 9, 8:23 am, "bm" wrote:
"mogga" wrote in message

. ..

On Thu, 4 Sep 2008 05:53:04 +0100, "bm" wrote:

I have a weed which has invaded my garden and I wage a constant battle
against it . It spreads by putting out shoots which then pop up and
form
the
next weed. If the slightest piece breaks off it forms a new weed. I
don't
know what it is called.
I have tried using roundup and it certainly seems to work but some
areas
are
so bad I have had to dig them up as best as I can with limited success.
Is there a procedure for dealing with this pest?
Blair

Photo needed

I started down the route of having a web site but I decided to see if I
could find the weed on the internet and I've found it. It is Sorrel
Blair

Sorrel (Oxalis) is a famous weed. *It can be hard to get out once it
gets a hold. *Roundup works but you have to persist. *You just keep
doing it until it is gone. *Wait 2 weeks before applyin it again and
it is only really effective when things are actively growing. *It will
not get seeds and you will end up with stragglers for years to come
but with decreasing frequency.
After a while you will be able to stop using the roundup and then just
pull up stragglers as you find them.

Thanks for your help.It got hold in one area of my garden during a period I
had to give up gardening due to a hernia op.
I will do as you suggest.
Isn't it amazing that my query has started a long conversation about eating
weeds! I wonder how sorrel would suit them!
Blair- Hide quoted text -

Sorrel is very much edible, so long as it is not the Oxalis variety -
which appears to be the one you have. If I recall properly, it
contains oxalic acid, which is toxic in high doses.
But I wouldn't put it past one of the URGers to come up with an oxalis
chutney recipe which circumvents the problem...

Cat(h)