Old 09-09-2008, 05:58 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Isabella Woodhouse Isabella Woodhouse is offline

Default Why Heirloom Tomatoes??

In article ,
Omelet wrote:

In article
,
Isabella Woodhouse wrote:

Huh. I'll have to check that out. I don't eat a lot of pasta as I live
low carb for the most part.

With celiac and thyroid, my diet already has enough restrictions so I
don't do strict low-carbing though I do pay strong attention to the
glycemic index of foods. I restrict pasta to once weekly or less,
potatoes even less often, and my DH and I hardly ever have baked goods
or bread. BLTs with the fabulous tomatoes in late summer are an
exception--- mine on rice bread of course. My daughter eats everything
OTOH. I've always been fond of Julia's 'everything in moderation'
advice and, more recently, Michael Pollan's: "Eat food, mostly plants,
not too much" advice.

Sounds good. :-) I'm also hypothyroid, and insulin resistant.

The autoimmune spectrum now affects a very significant portion of the
population. Scary. Have you read _Dangerous Grains_?

Interestingly enough, the dietary restrictions I ended up with actually
netted me a MORE varied diet! I started branching out and trying new
things. I'm now in love with the asian market.

Asian cooking taught me to make up dishes on the fly. I consider the
stir-fry one of the all-time great cooking methods because you can stir
fry practically anything. And what a boon for those of us with our own
edible gardens. However, I do miss eating out at Chinese restaurants
since it's nearly impossible to get anything that is gluten free.
[...]
There is a Crepe myrtle to one side that blooms all year. I'm trying to
keep that one pruned into a tree.

Ours get nipped back sometimes by cold weather and survive mainly as
bushes.

They are pretty tough.

Where are you? I'm in central Texas, Austin area.

30+ miles due west of St. Louis. Zone 6. I see you're 8. Big
difference!
--
"I will show you fear in a handful of dust"
-T.S. Eliot