Old 09-09-2008, 08:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rusty Hinge 2 Rusty Hinge 2 is offline

Default ivy shredded

The message
from "Steve Turner" contains these words:

I've put chain link fencing up for work (well taken old stuff down and put
new up). You could get the fence for less than £100 and 2 men could do
it in
a morning. Although you need the posts as well, say another £30 for the
steel and one man would take a morning cutting, drilling, painting and
concreting them in.

I use old scaffold poles (or sections thereof!) for fence poles.
Generally, I dig a hole, about two feet diameter, tonk the pole into the
middle and pack (with a rammer) rubble round it, then pour in sloshy
concrete.

When the concrete's nearly set, I twist the pole so that the concrete
doesn't adhere, and it can be pulled out later if required.

It is important to have the pole protruding through the bottom of the
'lump', as water will drain through and rusting won't happen so quickly.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig