Old 10-09-2008, 08:48 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Broadback Broadback is offline

Default Hedge that's quickish?

Derek Turner wrote:
On Tue, 09 Sep 2008 19:41:22 +0100, mark wrote:

. Beech is my default choice at the
moment but I'm throwing myself open to other ideas.

Thuja plicata

The problem with quick growing hedges is keeping them trim. I have three
types of hedging in my garden. Hawthorn which seems to grow straggly
soon after cutting. Beech, very little copper, that is quite tidy and
keeps its leaves until Spring. Holly, which does not need cutting every
year. However it seems obvious to me that their "neatness" is inverse to
their growing speed.