Old 10-09-2008, 09:20 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Nick Maclaren Nick Maclaren is offline

Default Hedge that's quickish?

In article ,
Broadback writes:

| The problem with quick growing hedges is keeping them trim. I have three
| types of hedging in my garden. Hawthorn which seems to grow straggly
| soon after cutting. Beech, very little copper, that is quite tidy and
| keeps its leaves until Spring. Holly, which does not need cutting every
| year. However it seems obvious to me that their "neatness" is inverse to
| their growing speed.

Right. Most of the traditional decorative hedging plants are chosen
for a balance between the two. The modern ones (privet and cupressus,
mainly) are chosen because they establish quickly and are a right pain
to keep under control.

Most places in Norfolk can get cold enough that it's worth avoiding
the less hardy ones. Privet turns deciduous with below about -10/-15
Celsius, but doesn't die. Yew, holly, hawthorn, beech etc. will all
take any temperatures seen in the past century. Some of the others
may well not survive a cold spell.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.