Old 23-02-2003, 04:15 PM
The Ranger

Default Tall tomatoes

Mike Stickney asked:
I grow a staking variety of tomatoes on single stems in containers.
The containers stand on a four foot shelf so by the time the plants
have grown six feet it is getting difficult for me to reach from a
step ladder. This year I have untied the plants when they reached
the tops of the stakes, dropped them and run the stems horizantal
for two containers and run them up another stake. I did this a week
ago (living in Australia) and they are doing fine. Hopefully when
they reach the top again I will drop them and reverse back to the
original container.Hopefully they will keep on cropping from the
main stem until late autumn.

Has anyone had experience of this system?

You've just described the system one of my FIL's neighbor's has used for at
least the last four years (probably longer but I only noticed after watching
him one day.) He's gotten some beautiful (size, color, shape) tomatoes using
this method -- and it almost seems to control output, too, so they're not
getting too many but have enough to enjoy throughout our "season."

The Ranger