Old 09-04-2003, 04:08 PM
Gail Futoran

Default Small Ponds - 200 -300gal

"Superkitt" wrote in
message
.104...
I would like to see some examples of small 200-300 gal

ponds, has anyone
made any? I need some ideas, I see all these large ponds,

I want to see
some examples of small ponds with water features.

Joel

Do you need photos, or just a description?
I put in a small - 200 gal at a guess - pond late
last year. It's circular in shape, has a sloping area
for critters to get into/out of the pond (I really
wanted it for frogs and toads rather than for
fish), is about 2' deep but that measurment includes
a raised lip formed by two layers of house bricks.
(The liner is folded up over the bricks so no
water can wash into the pond from the yard.)

I used flexible liner, 30 mil (IIRC) and got
some horrendous folds but don't really
care since you can't see them. I have one hardy
water lily, one yellow water fringe, a couple of small
grasses on a 6" wide x about 2' long ledge I formed at
one end of the pond for marginal plants.

I tossed in a bunch of rosey red minnows for
mosquito control (but I enjoy feeding them,
too), and 6 Japanese trapdoor snails
recently added.

No filters, I'm hoping to keep the pond healthy
through various additives, occasional partial
water changes. My husband stuck a couple
trellises on frames in the ground to provide
some shade from the horrendous afternoon sun
we get around here.

When my above ground 110 lb (stock tank)
goldfish pond froze over several times this
winter, the in-ground pond showed no ice, not
even at the shallow end. Our soil around here is
heavy clay and I assume it holds heat fairly well,
and also might keep the water from getting too
hot.

Hope that helps.

Gail
San Antonio TX