Old 10-09-2008, 01:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Janet Tweedy Janet Tweedy is offline

Default ivy shredded

In article , Peter Robinson
writes
Janet Tweedy wrote:

Can I shred Ivy and put it in the compost?

Absolutely - great stuff.

I mean is it likely to grow again from little bits like ground elder?

No.

I've been down the tip with six estate carloads so far!

Such a shame!

You haven't see how much there it It's dangerously overloading a very
mature hawthorn tree, well 4 actually on the shared boundary at the
bottom of the garden. Have tried cutting it back by standing on a ladder
with a 12 foot cutter (wolf one) but the tree sways alarmingly as you
try to get a purchase on the stems.
I needed to put the stuff down the tip because i have 300 foot of
hawthorn cuttings from the hedge to shred as well as normal stuff as
want to clear it all as soon as I can ready for the new greenhouse! It's
not going in the same place but the paths need to be clear so we
dismantle the old house and put in the new Rhino one.)

I pulled down a similarly vast amount (when un-shredded) from some trees
in my garden a few weeks ago. Combined with a large amount of grass,
and smaller amounts of elder, ash and various other shredded prunings,
it's got a new heap off to a great start.

Oh then I'll compost the rest.
I was worried about the bits that have roots on as they travel along the
back of the garden and where the compost bin was before I've cleared it
all.

Turned the new heap for the third time this weekend, and already I
didn't recognise anything in it as being ivy.

Right - you've convince me Peter!
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph