Old 10-09-2008, 01:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha[_3_] Sacha[_3_] is offline

Default Planning permission for gardens?

On 10/9/08 13:54, in article ,
"echinosum" wrote:

snip

Incidentally, you do need planning permission for a garden. My father
purchased a strip of field adjacent to his house from the adjacent
farmer, as did the whole road. Unfortunately one of the householders
applied for planning permission to build on their enlarged plot just
before the 10 years "get away with it" were up, so the planning
authority noticed and came around and started accusing people of
turning agricultural land into garden without planning permission.

snip

I agree about the waste of time and effort but that's not really planning
permission, that's 'change of use'. Some spiteful person did that to us in
a Jersey garden. The farmer we'd bought the place from and to whom we let
back the land, wanted to square off a field and there was a tiny triangle of
grass we took over, mainly leaving it long because a skylark nested in it.
Because it was obviously fenced off to keep the cows out or wasn't planted
with maize, said spiteful person told some one in the Ag. Dept. who came and
looked at it, laughed and went away again!

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.com