Old 10-09-2008, 01:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
jal jal is offline

Default Hedge that's quickish?

In article ,
"mark" wrote:

I am going to plant a hedge in the next week or two. I am undecided as to
what sort. Please could you suggest a hedge that is reasonably quick to
establish and isn't Leylandii. Beech is my default choice at the moment

I planted one this time of year in 2006, made up of 2' high plants of
beech, whitethorn and hazel. The whole thing is about 3'6" high now and
quite thick. I've got a honeysuckle growing through it too.

It would be *easily* 6' high in places if I'd let the hazel have its
way: hazel is terrifically vigorous, and it retains most of its leaves
through the winter (at least: through our warm winters of the last year
or two). (The leaves are large and very tough, so don't rot down as
easily as others.) Ooh - and you get nuts!!

As another poster mentioned: the trouble with quick growing hedges is
that you have to trim them more often. In my case I don't mind: not only
do I find it pleasurable, but this particular hedge is a very small one
(10 yards long); I have others (which are massive, and not so
pleasurable).

hth
john