Old 10-09-2008, 02:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha[_3_] Sacha[_3_] is offline

Default ivy shredded

On 10/9/08 13:20, in article , "Janet Tweedy"
wrote:

In article , Rusty Hinge
2 writes

I use old scaffold poles (or sections thereof!) for fence poles.
Generally, I dig a hole, about two feet diameter, tonk the pole into the
middle and pack (with a rammer) rubble round it, then pour in sloshy
concrete.

When the concrete's nearly set, I twist the pole so that the concrete
doesn't adhere, and it can be pulled out later if required.

It is important to have the pole protruding through the bottom of the
'lump', as water will drain through and rusting won't happen so quickly.

Scaffolding poles i assume will come from the builders' merchant like
the gravel etc?

Janet

Janet, a friend of ours swears by Freecycle for such things. I've never
tried it myself but it might be worth Googling in your area. I'm going to
look for old pram chassis!
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.com