Old 11-09-2008, 01:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Nick Maclaren Nick Maclaren is offline

Default Planning permission for gardens?

In article ,
Gordon H writes:
| In message , Janet Tweedy
| writes
|
| Frankly, the only widely available papers where the news isn't more
| propaganda than fact the
| Guardian -
|
| Good grief Nick, I DO hope you're joking with that suggestion!
|
| The Guarniad is an ecxellant newsapper, but does have rather too much
| poltiical comment. :-)

And, no, I was not joking.

The difference between the Gnurdian and the Daily Torygraph and the
Mordoch publications is that the Grauniad doesn't deliberately distort
and even falsify what it presents as fact to bias the minds of its
readers. That means that it isn't propaganda - its bias is merely
addled and woolly thinking - and it is usually easy to separate its
commentary from what it claims to be facts.

In terms of actual reliability of 'facts', I agree that there isn't
much to choose.

And my remarks are NOT based on prejudice, but on a sample of actual
checking up on the sources that the relevant papers claimed to have
used. Always assume incompetence in preference to malice, but don't
continue to do so when the evidence of malice is convincing. That
is why I can't stand the Daily Torygraph - it makes even the Tit and
Bum look honest - yet otherwise not-totally-idiotic people actually
BELIEVE what it presents as claimed facts :-(

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.