Old 11-09-2008, 04:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
dr dr is offline

Default Planning permission for gardens?

Broadback wrote:

While waiting for my wife to shop I browsed the headlines of various
daily papers this morning. One of them,I never noticed which, claimed
the dear old government are planning to bring in rules about what we can
do with our gardens. It seems that this is an attempt to reduce waste
production, mainly grass clippings! What a racket this recycling
business is becoming. We spent energy to clean bottles, glasses etc for
recycling then is is all dumped together and shipped to India it seems,
where it is mainly dumped in landfill!

Surprisingly enough the planning rules on garden "structures" are a lot more
involved than most people realise. Recent changes to terms mean you are no
longer entitled to a second shed. If you've got one, you'll need PP for a
2nd. If your greenhouse is within 20m of a road, or I think 5m of the
house you'll need PP. These rules surprised me, though a lot of local
councils waive the right to enforce on these issues, the rules are already
in place.

I know a lot of people who've always considered their gardens to be theirs,
sheds and greenhouses are claimed by many to be "temporary structures" and
thus except, not anymore.

Duncan