Old 11-09-2008, 06:23 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
a425couple a425couple is offline

Default Fall feeding

"emceemc" wrote ...
I have a small pond with currently 5 medium goldfish in Chicago.
Summer temperatures have just fallen off into the 50s-70s range. I
usually continue to feed until about mid-November. What is the best
way to feed in the 8-10 weeks between now and then?
I could feed them the same as always, begin to wind them down with
progressively smaller feedings, or feed them more to fatten them up
for the long fast until April.
What's the best way, or doesn't it matter?

In my humble opinion, really good questions,
on a topic I'd been thinking about posting
my similar questions about.
No experts/veterans answered yet.
I'll maybe stir up something!!!

I've had ponds about 10 years now.
But really less knowledge than that might indicate.
Some forgetfulness, some lazyness, some years
wasted because so discoraged due to predation.
I'm kind of on a upswing with my ponds right now.

The best I'm recalling of the 'better years', is that
it was kind of 'self moderating' for me.
In nice weather it is enjoyable to sit by ponds
watching them eat 3 or 2 times a day.
As it gets colder, and regular rains come in,
I do much less. In October (if I recall correctly),
as the huge number of maple leaves etc. fall,
just impossible to keep up, or feed. They get covered
in leaves that first float, then gradually sink as
more fall / get blown in.
Then winter - just leave alone.
Some years I have some nights of ice, sometimes
7-10 days of ice up to 1" thick.
Interesting to rarely see fish swiming very slowly
under the ice! Brrr.
("Get along little doggie, it's your misfortune,
and none of my own" - as I get back inside house!)
As the weather warms (April or so), I get motovated
enough to 'muck out' the leaves and a fair amount
of 'gunk'.
Most Springs, I believe I still have 'most' of the
fish I had in the Fall.
(But, due to the preditor problem, I know
I've never had a fish last 2 winters.)

Do they fast??
Maybe they do. Guess I've always felt they
have enough 'natural' food in the pond they
can get by without my care.

Does "fattening them up" help?
Maybe? Do they 'put on fat', , or does our
feeding just help them grow bigger?

Guess I've not seen good evidence that
size is that tied into ability to "winter over".

(?? but on the other hand, guess I'm somewhat
a hypocrite. In my lower pond (among the older) live 3
goldfish, that still exist of this year's purchase of $.14 centers.
One is nearing 2", one is 1 1/2" - and I figure
they will be fine ((if not eaten!!)).
But one is still a runt, really scrany thing, maybe
1" long and only about 3/16" wide, poor feeder
even for the pellets I crush and spread above him
((maybe that shows I'm not quite the uncaring
grump advocate of Darwin some think I am?!)).
I have doubts he will be with us in the spring.)