Old 12-09-2008, 03:57 AM
beccabunga beccabunga is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hibiscus View Post
Thanks, beccabunga.

Another reason why I get confused between dahlia & chrysanthemum:-
We treat dahlia as a type of chrysanthemum in Chinese language.

Dahlia = "Dali chrysanthemum" in Chinese; we also call it "Indian peony".

Chrysanthemum = "chrysanthemum" in Chinese; which we use it to make chrysanthemum tea that has a stronger taste/ smell than camomile tea. By the way, we also treat camomile as a type of chrysanthemum in Chinese - it's known as "sweet chrysanthemum"!!

So I wonder, if dahlia is edible...
The tubers are edible [not that I've tried them]. They may however not be very palatable !

Interesting that piece of information about Dahlias in Chinese. While they are both Asteraceae, I am not aware of anyone successfully crossing them.