Old 12-09-2008, 12:37 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
FireBrick[_2_] FireBrick[_2_] is offline

Default Should I trim my Variegated Porcelain Vine

The tag says "Elegans", I assume that's the variety.

This is one of my few successes. Bought at a respected nursery this spring.
It has grown about 7 feet tall, clinging to the 'strings' I attached to my
porch posts.

I looks very nice.
It's bushy at the base but one large vine has really taken off.

The vine even has a 'woody' look to it now.

So my question is: "How do I protect it for the winter?"

It's hardy to zone 5-8 and I'm in Chicago which I believe is zone 5?

The simple instructions on the card say.
"Because the flowers are produced on the current year's grown, recommended
pruning time is Spring."

My other question is...only one of the vines is really growing up the
strings. How to I make other twigs, branches start climbing?

Please and thank you.