Old 09-04-2003, 05:44 PM
Christopher

Default Lawn Tractor Suggestions

I bought a John Deere L110 about a month ago at Home Depot. I only
have four hours on it so far so I can't tell you how long it will
last, but comparing it to the lower end riding mowers HD had on the
floor, this was obviously a better machine if you were willing to pay
the money for it.

As previous posts have mentioned, a high end John Deere from a dealer
is probably built tougher, but for mowing just under an acre I expect
to get plenty of years out of it.

FYI, I had been mowing this yard for the last two years with a non
self propelled 20" push mower, (Craftsman w/ 4hp B&S, 7 years old,
never any problems) so needless to say, I really enjoy my JD L110.

A friend of mine also bought a JD L110 at about the same time I did.
He's been cutting a few extra yards on his street to help pay for the
new toy. This guy probably has about 10 hours on his, and is usually
tougher on machinery than I am. So far he hasn't had any trouble with
his either.

Christopher

"Dave W" wrote in message ...
If I was buying one today, it would be a John Deere. I had one for 12 years
before it was stolen and never replaced any thing but a couple of belts. I
foolishly replaced it with a front engine Snapper. What a piece of junk!
Problems all the time. If I ever buy another one it will be another John
Deere.
Dave

"Jonathan Race" wrote in message
rthlink.net...
Greetings!

I have a question for anyone who has been looking around for a new lawn
tractor.

Currently I own two acres, of which about 1.5 acres is mowable grass

(bahia,
I live in central Florida). Recently my Murray lawn tractor's automatic
transmission decided to start leaking, and since it's a non-rebuildable
sealed unit the local repair shop wants $650.00 plus labor to install a

new
unit. The mower is only three years old, but is unfortunately out of
waranty.

I have found a way to keep it filled, but I know the problem will only get
worse before it gets better. The new transmission is a heavier unit and

is
also repairable, but for the money I'm starting to think I should be

looking
for a new tractor.

My question is this: Knowing how much mowing I have to do (1.5 acres

mowed
weekly), what lawn tractor would give me the best service and is

reasonably
repairable for a max budget of $1800.00?

I've done a little looking online, but most of what is posted is

advertising
and it's hard to tell what features I would need based on a manufacturer's
internet site. My current unit has 17hp and a 42" mower deck and seems to
be about the right size.

Thanks for any opinions or advice - Jonathan

--
Acta Non Verba - Deeds Not Words
Lieutenant Jonathan Race, EMS Supervisor