Old 12-09-2008, 02:02 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Weed

"Rusty Hinge 2" wrote in message
k...
The message

| Remember, it is an introduced plant - the Romans brought it, and most
| monastries and well-off people cultivated it. You can usually reckon
| that where it grows there is or has been either a religious
| establishment or something like a palace or a manor house.

Eating it is supposed to help prevent gout.

| In our case, probably the manor house that Cromwell levelled.

Er, THE house that Cromwell levelled?

Yes - the manor house that Cromwell levelled. Just down the loke. Much
of the moat is still there.

If I'd said 'a' manor house, it wouldn't have been specific enough, so,
knowing where it was, it's 'the'.

--

That told you, Nick ;-)