Old 11-09-2008, 11:02 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
Pete C[_2_] Pete C[_2_] is offline

Default Fall feeding

emceemc wrote:
I have a small pond with currently 5 medium goldfish in Chicago.

Summer temperatures have just fallen off into the 50s-70s range. I
usually continue to feed until about mid-November. What is the best
way to feed in the 8-10 weeks between now and then?

I could feed them the same as always, begin to wind them down with
progressively smaller feedings, or feed them more to fatten them up
for the long fast until April.

What's the best way, or doesn't it matter?

Feed normally until water temp is around 10°C. If fish still seem intersted
in food, give them wheatgerm ONLY. As the temp drops, so their digestive
systems begin to shut down, and wheatgerm is all they can cope with.
HTH
--
Pete C
London UK