Old 12-09-2008, 09:20 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Cat(h) Cat(h) is offline

Default Very weird question about compost

On Sep 11, 7:23*pm, mogga wrote:
On Thu, 11 Sep 2008 08:40:02 -0700 (PDT), "Cat(h)"

wrote:
On Sep 11, 4:17*pm, Broadback wrote:
Jonathan wrote:
Make vinegar out of it by exposing it to the air.

Jonathan

Cat(H) you must have very educated taste buds, I've yet to find a wine I
can't drink! ;-)

Maybe so. *Be my guest if you wish to collect ;-)
Seriously, though. *You can't cook with bad wine, you can't present it
to friends or risk losing them, you can't give it to your enemy or
risk making him/her a far deadlier one, I don't subscribe to home brew
- probably because any I have ever had to be polite enough to sample
was absolutely goddawful, and because where I come from, wine is made
with grapes by people who know their business (i.e., not me, nor, from
my experience, too many homebrewers). *My expertise is in the
drinking.
At this stage, it seems my pouring it over the compost heap will be of
limited value to the said heap - though probably not detrimental
either. *So, it's a toss up whether I'll do that, or whether I'll
simply let it down the drain - which was what I was hoping not to
do.
The determining factor will be just how much rain is pouring this week
end when I go about clearing up the kitchen, and just how soggy the
lawn...

Cat(h)

Seriously describe it on freecycle and someone will enjoy it!

We have an equivalent of freecycle here, and I have used it very
successfully over the years to recycle old doors we didn't need, tiles
at the end of a job which the store they were bought from would only
take back to dump, and lots of other bits and bobs. It's the best way
to declutter, and give stuff a second life.
But this stuff is really not drinkable, full stop. I love my wine, I
know a tiny bit about it, and I would not give this to a human being,
no matter how dark the schemes I may harbour about them.
At this stage, it is bound for the sink over the week end, as it seems
obvious it will have no beneficial effect on the compost heap, so
there is little point in pouring it on.

Thanks again to all!
Cat(h)