Old 12-09-2008, 01:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Compo in Caithness Compo in Caithness is offline

Default Hedge that's quickish?

\snip\
hazel is terrifically vigorous, and it retains most of its leaves
through the winter

\snip\
hth
john

I live in Caithness and have a number of hedges: Hawthorn, Hazel,
Ribes, Snowberry, Fuchsia, Rosa rugosa, Box and Curessus macrocarpa.

Of the above the Cupressus is the most vigorous, it being a parent of
the Leylandii. It requires trimming about three or four times per
season and gives off a pleasant lemon scent when trimmed or when the
wind blows. The trouble with this hedge is that you have to grow it
from seed and that takes five years or so to for it to reach head
height. Seeds available from www.chilternseeds.co.uk. This is my
favourite hedge but for personal reasons - I gathered the seed from
beside the Magellan Straits in Patagonia, so as you see it is VERY
hardy.

Rosa rugosa makes a great but slightly scruffy hedge. I thas the
advantage of pretty flowers throughout the summer and huge hips
throughout the winter. Birds feed on the hips in late winter. Fast
growing and available as hedging plants from

Fuchsia is a beautiful hedging plant but I have been unable to find it
in the nurseries and had to grow mine from cuttings. Slow but they
readily root from non-flowering tips.

Hazel makes a fine, dense hedge and is a haven for small wildlife.
Relativevly quick growing too. Can be clipped fairly tightly and
grows extra stems from ground level which thicken up the hedge.
Widely available.

Hawthorn is perhaps one of the finest of hedging plants if you want to
keep children out! Fast growing and responds well to clipping and
shaping. Widely available.

Box is slow growing but makes a fine, dense hedge over time. Can be
bought as hedging plants but easily grown from cuttings.

Ribes (flowering currant) grows like a weed in my garden. Totally
hardy but not as fast growing as some. Probably best grown from
cuttings.

Finally, Snowberry. This is a vigorous hedging plant that will form a
free standing bush several feet in height and width if left to its own
devices. Has small flowers in summer followed by white berries
throughout the winter. Birds feed on the berries in hard times. Very
easily grown from cuttings but I don't know how readily available from
nurseries etc.

Cheers,
Compo in Caithness near John O'Groats.