Old 12-09-2008, 06:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Nick Maclaren Nick Maclaren is offline

Default Thorny bush recommendation for security at vulnerable garden corner

In article ,
"Robert \(Plymouth\)" writes:
| "tonyjeffs" wrote in message
|
| Aha!
| We have some of that struggling to grow in another part of the hedge.
| I didn't know what it was.
|
| Nope my mistake. On closer examination it is something different. It
| only has single leaves. It has the thorns though.
| I'll ask at the garden centre about Poncirus trifoliata

It may be pyracantha.

| Surely you want Berberis, I forget the name but the orange flowered
| one is razor sharp. I expect Nick will come back with the name

Berberis vulgaris - the native species! It's rather tricky to get
and a bit slow to get established, but its spines are indeed exactly
like needles. Some of the other berberis are similar, but the most
common ones are only a little spinier than gorse.

There is also pyracantha, several roses, and probably some hawthorns
(but the native species aren't all that thorny). I can't remember
what else, but there are more.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.