Old 13-09-2008, 01:30 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Isabella Woodhouse Isabella Woodhouse is offline

Default Why Heirloom Tomatoes??

In article ,
Omelet wrote:

In article
,
Isabella Woodhouse wrote:

In article ,
Omelet wrote:

In article
,
Isabella Woodhouse wrote:

The autoimmune spectrum now affects a very significant portion of the
population. Scary. Have you read _Dangerous Grains_?

No, do tell?
I understand that "modern wheat" is a hybrid of Spelt. And not any near
as healthy...

Spelt has the same gluten (gliadin, etc) molecules as any triticum
species including modern wheat & rye. For people with celiac or true
gluten intolerance, it's all the same poison.

As are Oats and Barley.

The jury is still out on oats since they do not contain gliadin. But it
does contain a different gluten molecule to which some people with
celiac respond. Some say oats not contaminated with wheat are OK but
I'm not willing to take the risk with any oats. I was unsure whether
barley had the same kind of gluten molecules as the triticums. Barley
may have the other kind of gluten called glutenin or something like
that... not sure.

Isabella
--
"I will show you fear in a handful of dust"
-T.S. Eliot