Old 12-09-2008, 11:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Nick Maclaren Nick Maclaren is offline

Default Thorny bush recommendation for security at vulnerable garden corner

In article ,
Sacha writes:
| |
| | Berberis are good and so is Rosa rugosa. Not many people will argue with
| | the many spines on the latter.
|
| But do watch out for berberis! They vary between the vicious and the
| cuddly.
|
| I have to find the name of one that Hyams planted here moons ago and ask you
| about it, Nick. It's in his book about this garden so I've got to go on a
| hunt for it. He was obviously rather fond of Berberis and planted quite a
| lot of them down one particular path beside the church. Or perhaps he was
| making a point about anarchism!

I'm not an expert! But they are a far more interesting genus than is
often realised.

I shall have to wait and see what my current spontaneous seedling turns
into. It doesn't match any of the descriptions, but it is possible that
young plants may have different leaf structure from old ones.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.