Old 13-09-2008, 10:20 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha[_3_] Sacha[_3_] is offline

Default Thorny bush recommendation for security at vulnerable gardencorner

On 12/9/08 23:13, in article , "Nick
Maclaren" wrote:

In article ,
Sacha writes:
| |
| | Berberis are good and so is Rosa rugosa. Not many people will argue
with
| | the many spines on the latter.
|
| But do watch out for berberis! They vary between the vicious and the
| cuddly.
|
| I have to find the name of one that Hyams planted here moons ago and ask
you
| about it, Nick. It's in his book about this garden so I've got to go on a
| hunt for it. He was obviously rather fond of Berberis and planted quite a
| lot of them down one particular path beside the church. Or perhaps he was
| making a point about anarchism!

I'm not an expert! But they are a far more interesting genus than is
often realised.

I shall have to wait and see what my current spontaneous seedling turns
into. It doesn't match any of the descriptions, but it is possible that
young plants may have different leaf structure from old ones.

Well, he names several types that he grew but this is called Berberis
hypokerina which he describes as "a rare, large-leaved species better for
foliage than flower." Of course,, her wrote An Englishman's Garden in 1967
so, for all I know, this Berberis is now sold in 50 garden centres around
the country. But we no longer have it here and I'd like to get it. One
place in Dorset is listed as having it so I'll have to try there. Do you
know it? And also BTW, did you enjoy the bit on Cambridge Botanical Garden
in GW? I think I'm right that you're a Friend of same?

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.com