Old 13-09-2008, 10:21 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Nick Maclaren Nick Maclaren is offline

Default Planning permission for gardens?

In article ,
Gordon H writes:

| Yes, but the point isn't the fact they have a bias - even the Independent
| does - but whether they deliberately distort and even falsify facts in
| order to propagate their prejudices. That is propaganda.
|
| And the simple fact is that the Daily Telegraph is probably the worst
| newspaper in the UK for doing that, though the Sun runs it close.
|
| Aren't you forgetting the Daily Mail, or do you refuse to credit it with
| the description "newspaper"?

No and perhaps. I am referring specifically to deliberate distortion
and falsification, and not merely bigoted drivel. The reason that the
Daily Telegraph is so pernicious is that it appears to a naive reader
to be a NEWSpaper, and it dresses up its propaganda as facts
sufficiently well that otherwise not-totally-idiotic readers believe
what it says.

I know of quite a few fairly intelligent readers of the Daily Mail
and Sun, and few of them even look at its political pages! They most
certainly don't believe them - the only people who do are beyond hope.

Look back at the archives of this group - virtually every story of
this kind that has been believed by at least some non-trolls and later
discovered to be essentially false has started in the Daily Telegraph.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.