Old 13-09-2008, 05:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden Bob Hobden is offline

Default Eaten potatoes

Some of our potatoes have been eaten, not by slugs, we know what that looks
like thank you.

The marks are shallow scoops out of the flesh on most damaged ones although
some have been eaten almost away. Are there any small (burrowing) rodents
that eat potatoes below ground? That's what it looks like.

What makes me ask is seeing a vole type creature today scurry around where
we have some lettuce. We have bait boxes containing a powerful rat/mouse
poison spread around the plot so whatever it is it doesn't eat the peanut
butter flavoured bait. I'm wondering if it may therefore be mainly
carnivorous as not as many potatoes were slug attacked as we expected
considering the weather. Could it be eating the slugs and damaging the
potatoes in the process?
--
Regards
Bob Hobden