Old 14-09-2008, 05:31 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Omelet[_4_] Omelet[_4_] is offline

Default Why Heirloom Tomatoes??

In article
,
Isabella Woodhouse wrote:

that... not sure.

I've never actually reacted to Barley, at least not in the past...

Wheat allergy is it then?

Seems to be... altho' I can tolerate ramen pasta if I limit the
quantity. :-) Bread makes me the sickest of all.

And it shoots my glucose levels up too. :-(

but I tend to stick to rice now. There are so many varieties. :-) I
don't use white rice at all. Just brown and varieties of red and black.

The asian market has never been so fun. g

Needless to say, rice figures big on our menu as well, though in the
summer we rarely have it since there is so much from the garden. About
the only white rice I ever have is with sushi. I've heard you can make
it with a brown sticky rice but I've never found it. I put wild rice
(from Minnesota) in lots of things as well, including some winter salads.

Did not know there was brown "sticky rice", but the glutinous red rice
might work. I rarely buy it tho' because it dyes anything you add to it
red. g Some of the black rices color everything dark purple!

I have some chicken foot stock I'm planning to make some rice with
probably this weekend, as soon as the 15 bean soup is gone that I made
with ham skin stock. Dad's really enjoying it, and I'm glad! He can use
the fiber load.

Ruth Reichl has a wonderful part in her _Garlic and Sapphires_ book,
when she was the NYT restaurant critic, about eating duck webs at a
Chinese restaurant.

lol The asian market sells duck feet. I have eaten them, but only
from ducks we had raised ourselves and home processed. I used to raise
muscovies. Mom taught me years ago how to blanch and peel feet.

We tried it with emu feet, but only once. The flavor was "undesirable".

I'm wishing I could get turkey feet. :-( I'd probably have to find a
processing plant for that. Not sure where the closest one is.

Since I cook for him, I keep track of what he eats. Care and feeding
of an elderly parent is a big responsibility and fortunately, he
likes my cooking. I'm considering deboning some of the chicken feet
and pureeing them to add, but it might make the rice a bit too
rubbery when it's cold. g

I'm using chicken foot "meat" right now to help heal degenerative
disk disease and arthritis. That and trotters. The type II collagen
they contain seems to be keeping the pain at bay if I eat enough of
it, and am consistent. It just took awhile at first.

Thank the gods for good chiropractors...

You're doing an anti-inflammatory diet then?

More or less... More of a "high collagen" diet. :-) I don't have
rheumatoid. It's degenerative.

I've done some searches on the web tho' and it appears the consumption
of what they are calling Type II collagen is having some real impact as
an alternative therapy for both Osteo and rheumatoid arthritis.

Chicken collagen has 10 times the bioavailability of shark cartilage!
--
Peace! Om

"If you don't read the newspaper you are uninformed; if you do read the newspaper you are misinformed." --Mark Twain