Old 14-09-2008, 07:40 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Omelet[_4_] Omelet[_4_] is offline

Default Food for arthritis etc. (was Why Heirloom Tomatoes??)

In article ss,
"gunner" wrote:

"Omelet" wrote in message
news
In article
,
Isabella Woodhouse wrote:

I'm using chicken foot "meat" right now to help heal degenerative
disk disease and arthritis. That and trotters. The type II collagen
they contain seems to be keeping the pain at bay if I eat enough of
it, and am consistent. It just took awhile at first.

Thank the gods for good chiropractors...

You're doing an anti-inflammatory diet then?

More or less... More of a "high collagen" diet. :-) I don't have
rheumatoid. It's degenerative.

I've done some searches on the web tho' and it appears the consumption
of what they are calling Type II collagen is having some real impact as
an alternative therapy for both Osteo and rheumatoid arthritis.

Chicken collagen has 10 times the bioavailability of shark cartilage!

Would you share that research?

Google for "Chicken collagen for Arthritis".

Here are the links I had stored:

http://www.bodyandfitness.com/Inform...rch/collagen.h
tm

http://www.truestarhealth.com/members/cm_archives07ML4P1A2.html

http://www.springboard4health.com/bo...ollagen_typeII.
html

My personal findings...

After 4 weeks of regularly consuming both chicken feet and trotters
(pigs feet), my pain from the issues with my back was considerably less.
I quit eating them for about 2 weeks (got bored) and had a serious
relapse. I could not hardly even sleep due to the pain. :-( I refuse to
take opiates even tho' they were offered.

I got back into it for 3 more weeks and right now, as of last Wednesday
night, I'm not entirely pain free, but it's toned down to a bearable
level. ;-)

And since I'm trying to lose weight using a low carb diet, it's a cheap
source of protein for the most part. Trotters run around $1.04 per lb.
and chicken feet are costing me around $1.49 per lb. I'm consuming 2 to
4 lbs. per week.

It's making a believer out of me and has had three other benefits. My
skin tone is improving drastically, as is the appearance and strength of
my fingernails. I also tend to get a lot of hair thinning on top of my
head when I'm losing weight and that is not happening this time. ;-)
I've lost 20 lbs. since the end of May 2008. I'm 46.

If you find trotters and chicken feet to be unappealing, (I totally
understand the concept of food appearance), just debone them and make
the meat and stock into soup. It helps.

I use a pressure cooker. Chicken feet need to be pressured for 45
minutes. Trotters, one hour. Braising will take longer. They need to be
cooked until all the connective tissue turns into jelly.

I've not yet explored calves feet for my personal issues, but calves
foot Jelly (recipes can be googled) appear to help my 76 year old dad
with energy levels and memory issues.

Anecdotal of course, but it works for us, and he loves the stuff.

The concept I think is eating cuts of "meat" that are high in collagen
and connective tissue. Skin, ligaments, tendons and cartilage.

History: I took a very bad fall the end of April 2008 and have had a
lot of pain since then. X-rays showed a 16 degree scoliosis of the
lumbar spine and advanced Degenerative disk disease. The last two disks
of the lower lumbar spine are essentially gone. The Scolisis is causing
a tilt to the Sacral plate and pelvis.

It's like a runaway case of Sciatica from hell..

The Osteopath and the Chiropractor both recommended swimming and and
inversion table. The rest I've done on my own. g I'm swimming 20 laps
4 days per week and using the inversion table intermittently.

The high collagen diet seems to be helping more than anything, and a
good chiro' (I got references before choosing one) is worth their weight
in gold. I've also purchased a muscle stim' unit after getting some
treatments using one at the Chiro's office. It's the gods...
--
Peace! Om

"If you don't read the newspaper you are uninformed; if you do read the newspaper you are misinformed." --Mark Twain