Old 14-09-2008, 10:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Nick Maclaren Nick Maclaren is offline

Default Anyone identify this (wild?) flower/weed

In article ,
K writes:

| You lucky thing! It's a hardy cyclamen, probably a white form of
| Cyclamen hederifolium. The flowers will produce round seed pods and the
| stems will coil back up again. With luck, the seeds will germinate and
| next year you'll spot tiny seedlings.

It hates competition and, in the UK, really thrives only in rain shadow
(e.g. under evergreen trees). But it is one of the few things that
does thrive there, and can actually carpet an area if the conditions
are right. It's worth encouraging (mostly by just leaving it alone!)

My C. coum grows in spring and autumn, and dies down entirely in
summer and the colder winters. And its flowers and leaves appear
at different times. Most people can ignore the difference between
C. coum and C. hederifolium!

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.