Old 14-09-2008, 10:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
John E[_2_] John E[_2_] is offline

Default Rubbish Flymo Hovermowers

"Gordon H" wrote in message
In message , John E
writes
"Gordon H" wrote

I have had my basic Flymo for about 10 years, and gave my old one to a
lady friend. That one must be at least 15 years old and she still
uses it.

I've had a couple of Flymos over the years. They lasted for at least 5
years each. I now have a rotary mower with wheels, because it is a simple
waste of electicity to use energy to provide lift when wheels will do the
job.

Not as easy to manoeuvre on small lawns though, and can they cut right up
to the edge? I have 5 fairly small areas to cut, and have to resort
to the strimmer for some awkward bits.

Sadly it took me a while to work this out. (The current mower is a Bosch
Rotak 40, in case anyone is interested - works very well indeed).

However, you have now suggested another appliance to check with my power
meter, and find out how much it costs to mow my lawns!
I suspect that the figure would be trivial.

Compared with devices that are on every day for a significant period, I'd
agree. (Unless you have a cricket field to look after). However, as you
mentioned elsewhere, the amount used by TVs on standby is also relatively
trivial, but multiplied up by millions of users, it is a significant amount.

--

John