Old 14-09-2008, 11:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha[_3_] Sacha[_3_] is offline

Default Anyone identify this (wild?) flower/weed

On 14/9/08 21:18, in article ,
"neil f" wrote:

Just found this small flower growing in a corner of my garden and wondered
what it was. I'm not a gardener so have no idea - it looks like a wild
flower/weed but has very pretty little white flowers that look like a
miniature version of the ladies cap from the Dutch national costume. There
are no leaves at all and the shoots seem to start out as little maroon
coiled springs at ground level and slowly uncurl until they're about 6"
high, whereupon they produce one delicate little flower.

I've put two pics at
http://www.anf.nildram.co.uk/workshop/temp/flower.html

I'm sure it's something very common but I've never noticed it before and it
would be nice to know its name. I couldn't find it in the wild flower book
I've got.

Thanks,
-Neil F.

Lucky you - it's cyclamen. Ours are coming out now. They're charming
little shuttlecocks.

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.com