Old 15-09-2008, 09:25 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
The Old OakTree The Old OakTree is offline

Default dismantling greenhouse what to do with it?

Freecycle is a bit of a pain to join!
I just want to advertise the glass etc but first I have had to
join yahoogroups, (good grief there's some right twerps on
some of those!) and then I have had to APPLY with information
about myself AND to justify why I wish to join!

I joined Freecyclence, without too much bother. Of a dozen or so
items I advertised, only about two were actually taken, but I
did get a couple of very useful things from it.

However I came out of it because I was sickened by the fact that
there were 50% more people posting 'WANTED' than posting
'OFFER', and some of the wants were just sheer greed - people
asking for specific models of cars with current MOTs,
three-piece suites which must be black leather in good
condition, washer-driers, fridge-freezers, HD TVs, DVD players
and all sorts of expensive items in spite of the ground rules
saying that expensive items should not be asked for.

A friend has just been trying to give away an old
aluminium-framed greenhouse. Apparently the type of glass used
in old greenhouses is no longer legal. He had someone
interested, but this chap changed his mind, and eventually the
greenhouse went to the tip. The glass can't even be put in among
the bottles for recycling, it has to go to landfill.

Not a happy story.